We often get asked what is the best automatic gate opener for my home or business? There are a few things to consider but it really comes down to the site/property and the conditions.
Your 2 main options are an Automatic Sliding Gate or an Automatic Swing Gate
Automatic Sliding Gate Openers
- Automating a sliding gate is normally cheaper than a swing gate
- Sliding gates don’t get affected by wind like swing gates
- Take up less space on your driveway when opening and closing
- Main issue is having the space in one direction of the gate posts, you need the width of the gate plus 30-40cm.
- You might have room to do a double sliding having half the width plus 30-40cm on each side, this does mean two motors and two gates, however.
Automatic Swing Gate Openers
- If you have a single gate you only have one gate and one motor, this means less cost on the installation.
- Advantage to the double gate is that they take up less room, the ark/swing of the gates is less.
- They are less affect by wind than a single gate
- The weight of the gates is split so less stress than a single gate.
- Usually more expensive to install as double the motors and you need to get power to the other side of the driveway to power the second motor.
- The image shows the swing of a single (blue) or Double (red) gates.
If you do have a choice then the best automatic gate opener to choose is a sliding gate opener. There is less stress on the gate as the weight is on two wheels rather than on the gate post and hinges.You might not have room either side of the opening to run the gate along or the driveway is uneven to run the gate track on if this is the case that an automatic swing opener is for you and works just as well.
For more information and help on choosing the best automatic gate opener for your needs contact us today!